Future Tigers on the Rise

photo credit: teepublic.com

Paul Thalmann, Staff Writer

Wheaton Warrenville South hosts Course Selection Fair for 8th graders from Hubble and Edison Middle School Wednesday, Feb. 5.  

Future tigers had the incredible opportunity on Wednesday to visit their upcoming high school. The fair went from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and included the chance to walk around the school, talk to teacher about their respective subjects, and ask current students about the “high school experience.”

First, the 8th graders and their parents were allowed to walk around the school freely in search of a room with teachers of a specific subject in them, which left many flustered and asking for help.

Current 8th grader from Edison, Mark Thalmann, was at the Course Selection Fair with his mom. “I think they should make a better map of the school next year so people could know where to go more easily because I was a little lost,” said Thalmann.

However, once the students located their desired room, the teachers and current south students answered questions effectively according to Thalmann.  

The second half of the Course Selection Fair included various booths set up from members of a wide range of clubs, teams, and extracirruclar activities at South.

Eighth graders walked around the cafeteria and commons with their parents to these booths where they had the chance to ask questions about activities that interested them.

Ben Gorksi, a current senior at South, had a booth with his teammate promoting Tiger Tennis. 

While students who set up booths received volunteer hours for National Honors Society, this opportunity meant much more for Gorksi.

“I really care about the incoming classes of Wheaton Warrenville South because I think it is really important to get involved at our school to make their overall experience better,” said Gorksi, “and there were a couple kids that I really changed their minds about Tiger Tenis  because the tennis team is very welcoming to everyone.”

With future South students getting a sense of what it will be like next year for them and current students promoting their favorite club, the Course Selection Fair was a huge success for another  straight year.