Cancellation of School Leads to a Postponement of the Boys’ Volleyball Season

Bridget Feely, Staff Writer

With the closing of Wheaton Warrenville South High School starting on Mar. 16 because of COVID-19, extracurriculars including boys’ volleyball had to cease their season and hope for school to resume as soon as possible. Coached by Bill Schreier, nine seniors closed out their last year and season waiting on the resumption of their normal schedule at South. 

Spring sports and other extracurriculars, such as girls’ soccer and show choir, aren’t able to meet while schools are closed due to the coronavirus outbreak. It’s understood that once school resumes in CUSD 200 and the surrounding school districts, sports and activities will be able to convene once again. Volleyball and many of the other sports were only able to hold no more than a few practices after they concluded their respective try-outs. 

With the return of senior Zeo Meyer to accompany returning starter Josh Gottlieb, there was plenty of talk and hope around this year’s varsity team following the success of the girls’ team in the fall. “I believe that we would’ve at least made it to state, honestly I believe we would win it all,” said Gottlieb. The two of the nine seniors are committed to play Division 1 volleyball in the fall: Gottlieb at Loyola University Chicago and Meyer at Brigham Young University. 

Many of the varsity players said they felt much more connected and close with their teammates this season and missed team bonding moments like traveling to away games and daily practices. “I miss my teammates the most and I loved the practices, I don’t know how many other South teams in the past have been as close and we all were,” said senior Jack Doran. 

The team is awaiting updates on school closings for their return to the season in hopes for a chance to still compete at the end of the year. Depending on when schools resume, the Illinois High School Association announced the possibility of extending the season past the normal school year season.