Boys Cross Country Takes Second in Quad

Kieran Cassidy, Staff Writer

Wheaton Warrenville South’s Cross Country Team falls to Wheaton North 34-33 at WWS’ Quad Meet on Saturday Afternoon. 

Saturday’s meet was hosted at Warrenville’s Grace Church was a contest between the four Dukane Conference Schools of Batavia, Geneva, Wheaton North and WWS. 

Wheaton North came out hot finishing 1-2 in the Boys Varsity race, with Batavia’s Ryan Mansour rounding off the podium positions of the race. 

Wheaton South entered the day with a different strategy at hand, The Pack Mentality, with 5 runners finishing in the top 10 and all seven runners within the top 20 of the race. WWS Senior Student-Athlete Carson Rewiski was one of those 5 runners in the top 10, finishing 5th overall in the meet. 

When asked about WWS’ strategy of pack running Rewiski said, “Coach Kuntz has always emphasized pack running. He always says our strength comes from each other. Our pack running also develops at practice as we always run with one another instead of trying to flat out beat the guy next to us.” 

Cross Country is one of the few sports the IHSA and IDPH has permitted for the fall, with many restrictions looking to limit the spread of Covid-19. Although many Student Athletes look to be up for the challenge, despite the major differences seen in previous Cross Country seasons. 

When asked about the challenges and differences Covid-19 has created for the WWS Cross Country Team, Rewiski said, “We are competing in quad and dual meets instead of the usual 15 plus team invitationals. There are also more general restrictions at meet regarding fans and the location of our team camp. The teams camps have to be a certain distance away from one another unlike normal years where at meets such as NXR midwest (Nike Cross Regionals) there might be 20 team camps within 50 yards of each other.”

The Tigers will take on Lake Park, Wheaton North, and Geneva on Saturday at 3:45pm at Grace Church in Warrenville.