Jaylen Brown’s Timely Three Lifts WWS Past Waubonsie Valley

Ryan Frank, Staff Writer

Orange and Black gym was the place to be on Wednesday, February 10, as the boys basketball team pulled off an exciting 49-43 overtime win over Waubonsie Valley thanks to Jaylen Brown’s clutch three point bucket. 

The Tigers had an opportunity to pick up a marquee win against visiting 25th ranked Waubonsie Valley, but trailing 39-28 with 4:29 remaining in regulation, that opportunity appeared rather bleak. A pair of three’s from Micah Kim and Jaylen Brown and a dunk from big man Tyler Fawcett made it a one possession game at 39-36 with less than a minute to go.

With time running out, the Tigers needed a quick play to force the game into overtime. Senior guard Parker Brown took the ball up the court, and Jaylen put himself in position to make a play. “I realized that no one was really guarding me, and so I was just screaming (Parker’s) name.” said Jaylen. 

And with the game on the line, Jaylen wanted the ball in his hands. “I’ve been in situations like that before where I’ve made the last shot, so I was confident that it could happen again”

Jaylen came up big and gave the Tigers new life as the shot went in with 3.7 seconds left. “Everybody was at a loss of words. We were all just like, ‘what just happened?’… down by 10 in the fourth quarter, we just kept playing, and the end result was crazy… definitely one of my most memorable games.”

Carrying this momentum, the Tigers were able to take control of the overtime period and seize the game with some key free throws from Parker and Jaylen Brown. The team improved their record to 3-1 after this contest, and a few students in attendance helped fuel this comeback rally.

“Even though there were only three of us, we were still making noise. You could just see in their body language, it was a lot more positive and (the players) were enjoying the game more” said Tiger hoops superfan Max Wilson. 

The WWS basketball team will look to continue their winning ways through the gauntlet of a condensed conference-only season, and capture Coach Healy’s second ever conference title.