Speech Team Takes Home State Title

Avery Cahill, Staff Writer

For the first time since 2014, the Speech team won the IHSA State Series. The Speech team has placed high in the State Series for the last few years but was finally able to secure the state title on Feb. 19 and 20, 2021. 

South won the state title with a team score of 35, against their competitors Hinsdale Central who scored 32, Hinsdale South who scored 31, and York who scored 24.  

Out of the 14 events that South competed in at the State Series, nine events placed in the top five.  A special note to the three events that won the state title- Humorous Interpretation performed by Jermey Ferguson, Radio Speaking performed by Naomi Kelly, and Performance in the Round by Performance in the Round. 

Vanessa Chavez, a member of the Speech team and the third-place state finisher in Special Occasion Speaking described the state series as “Could have not gone any better.” This being due to all the many South Students who placed highly.  

The win of the State Series comes after an unusual season for the speech team. Due to the current situation with the pandemic, the competitions had to be altered in order to keep students and coaches safe. 

New restrictions meant that competitions for Speech would be moved virtually and were to be pre-recorded for different times the team competed. Chavez described the switch to virtual as  “Everyone had to adapt to a new speaking style and performing style” due to performing to a camera rather than a live audience.  

The change to virtual however was not a limitation to South’s speech students as described by Chavez as this year’s team was “the most energized and showed most love” and this was “because of the virtual formant.”

Overall all of WWS should be proud of the many speech students who rallied together in this difficult year to win the State Series despite having to readjust.