WWS Girls Basketball Defeats Crosstown Rival 44-29

Lizzie Chiesa, Staff Writer

Last Saturday the Lady Tigers battled against Wheaton North to pull out another win for Wheaton Warrenville South. 

With freshman powerhouse Hannah Streubing and junior standout Lily Huntzinger, the tigers dominated the court with strong defense and a high energy bench. Either on the court or off, the Tigers did everything they could to hand Wheaton North the loss and get their well deserved bragging rights for the next time they play each other. 

“The bench mob was insane and the energy is a lot higher, everyone wants to play 110%, it just amplifies everything.” said Mia McCoyd, a starting senior for WWS. “I’ve played with a lot of these girls in middle school so it’s always fun to play familiar faces, and it’s fun to play with extra competitiveness with bragging rights.” As the crosstown rivalry continues, the boys side of basketball has also defeated Wheaton North as well. 

“Our coaches really emphasize leadership of seniors to set an example for the younger kids on what the program should look like.” said McCoyd. With some first year varsity players, the veteran seniors have definitely demonstrated that through hard work in practice and commitment to be the best they can. 

Having a younger squad can completely change the look of the game on top of the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. “We always ran a zone defense, but this year, we have a lot of younger players, so we don’t have a lot of time to teach them. We don’t have as much time to get in the groove of things.” said McCoyd. 

Even with those struggles, the tigers are determined to get their record up and finish the season on the right foot. Graduating nine seniors, one being head coach Rob Kroehnke’s daughter, they are focusing on making a direct impact on this program for years to come in the short amount of time they have left. 

The Tigers will next face Lake Park on Tuesday in hopes of continuing their winning streak.