March Board of Education Meeting

Praise Kim, Staff Writer

District 200 Board of Education had a meeting at Hubble Middle School at 7 p.m. on March 9. Our principal, Scott McDermott, communicated updates for Wheaton Warrenville South high school.

The meeting began with a recognition of students’ achievements. McDermott shared that the fashion show held on March 3 donated proceeds to the International Rett Syndrome Foundation. Principal McDermott also shared that Linnea Barron and Joshua Nigrelli are National Merit Scholarship finalists. The last student achievement shared WWS was of Maya Kalombo. She is the first District 200 female wrestler to qualify for the ISHA state competition. 

Other school updates are the achievements of the speech team that attended sectional and state competitions, the basketball team that made it to sectional finals, the preview of Choral Classics, and the updated vision for a 2026 Strategic Plan. Information about this plan can be found on the district website. 

The superintendent recognized the support provided by mental health teams regarding the tragic loss of Holden Wight.

Looking ahead, the declining Covid-19 rates were acknowledged by the district, showing a total of 17 student cases and two staff cases district-wide as of March 9. Only one case took place in WWS this week. As of March 7, there have been small increases in the number of those vaccinated, consisting of 84 percent of district-wide high school students being partially vaccinated, and 77 percent being fully vaccinated.