Tiger Track Looking to Keep Their Stride

Matt Scherrman, Staff Writer

On Friday Feb. 15 the Tigers will be hosting their first home meet of the season. Tigers host Morris, Bartlett, and Naperville Central at Wheaton Warrenville South for a non-conference meet. Senior captains Cedric Rowzee and Robert Gerwing are looking to keep the momentum from two weeks ago. Hard work has paid off for the Tigers so far. They placed first out of nine at their opener in Rockford, Illinois. The Knights of Rockford Auburn were hosting on Saturday Feb. 2, but came up short in the final standings.

“I will be doing my normal 55m, 200m, 4x200m relay.” said Rowzee, who was a state qualifier in the 55m last year. Gerwing, who will be running with Rowzee in the 4x200m will also be running in the 55m dash and 4x400m relay.

The Tigers are led by new coach Cambron Culpepper, who is taking over the role of Chris Arthurs. It is all about the process for the Tigers. With young speed and strength the future looks bright for Culpeppers’ squad. Mentality hasn’t changed for the track team since switching coaches between the 2018 and 2019 season. When asked about some differences from this season to last Rowzee replied, “Not much really, just getting the younger guys to understand that we are not some bad program we take everything seriously.” Gerwing also added, “This year, we are focusing more on plyometrics and the importance of our running form. We are focusing on the little things now that will help us in the future.”

Illinois High School Association (IHSA) state finals are hosted by Eastern Illinois. The goal is Charleston for this team. Running on the wonderful blue track of EIU is the dream of many, but only few get the opportunity. Some state bound hopefuls are the 4x100m, 4×200, and 4x400m relay teams, some pole vaulters, and the incredible distance team for the Tigers.