Drive 25

Ashley Zima, Writer

Drive 25

The Dupage Courthouse has been full of new people who have been ticketed for speeding all over the Wheaton area. Most people have been getting caught for going 35 mph down residential streets, which used to be normal. The new wheaton traffic law that was issued this January has many teens and families left upset, ticketed, and causing them to have to pay huge fines to the city.

Recently, in Wheaton many drivers have been getting pulled over by cops in residential areas, all due to the change in speed limit from 30 to 25. The new speed limit went into effect this January, but some drivers are still not obeying the law in those neighborhoods. According to the City of Wheaton, “ The city is making this speed limit change, combined with the program for new sidewalks, to improve the safety of the community.” The City of Wheaton decided that making the speed limit 25 in residential areas would increase the safety of our residents and specifically children, therefore the new slogan “Drive 25 for a safer Wheaton.”

Drivers in Wheaton have been very unhappy with the new change. Of the over 50 south students surveyed, 67.3% of people say that they go 6 or more over the speed limit which would end up resulting in a ticket. Students who were surveyed overall stated they were unhappy with the change, but many are questioning why this law is so hard to follow. Fiona DeGuzman, a senior at south stated, “I feel like maybe people think that going 30 won’t make too much of a difference since that was the previous speed limit, yet the cops are still there to catch you.” Fiona, along with many others have noticed the increase in cars pulled over on residential streets. 

21% of students surveyed replied that they have gotten a ticket in a drive 25 zone, this is quite a lot of people for the small number of students surveyed. Jacob Bishop, a student at South said “I got pulled over because I was just trying to get to my destination faster.” The new speed limit has caused lots of people to speed to just get somewhere faster, along with trying to get somewhere faster many students also have road rage which makes them naturally drive faster. Phil Oddo and Bridget McDonald, both seniors at south stated, “People are just too impatient and 25 mph is just too slow.” A common response from most of the drivers in Wheaton.

Overall, many students and drivers have seemed to be upset by the new drive 25 laws in Wheaton. Cops have been more present in residential neighborhoods, and most drivers don’t care about the new change enough to slow down 5mph therefore ending up ticketed. The city of Wheaton has been trying to enforce the new law with signs all over the city and increased police presence. Since the speed limit has been recently changed most drivers aren’t remembering that there is a new speed limit which ends up in getting pulled over. Nick McGrath stated, “It used to be 30 so 25 is just too slow.” Drivers are always in a rush and need to be at their destination as fast as possible therefore disobeying the law. 

All in all, drivers are upset by this new law but it looks as if nothing is going to change in the future, which means drivers must accept this law and obey the new speeds if they don’t want to end up being pulled over or in debt.