Wheaton South’s Luca Olivito Wins Tennis Conference with Jack Wagner

Phasu Sirinit, Staff Writer

The bleachers were packed at Saint Charles North High School. Cheers and roaring cries were bellowed from Wheaton South’s boys tennis team as juniors Luca Olivito and Jack Wagner edged out the championship match 6-4 6-7(6) 10-7 in 4th doubles at the DKC boys tennis conference tournament in 2019. 

Luca Olivito was introduced to tennis by his basketball coach, Ryan Shershen, and decided to give it a shot. He later convinced all his friends to join. As he went through the season, he discovered his passion for the sport and a desire to continue with it. “That first season I just loved every moment. There were so many memorable moments whether it was the bus rides or the fun games we played,” Reminisced Olivito. 

The doubles team performed exceptionally well as they went 7-1 in the conference season. The major title was rooted in Olivito’s strong work ethic. Not only does Olivito train in the season, but also in the off-season at the Eola Tennis Academy. Additionally, Olivito claims their winnings were also due to the team atmosphere. “Jack and I had great chemistry,” said Olivito. “We never got down on each other and would always have each other’s backs. The team was always a huge help with the cheering and support.”

The championship match was definitely a sweet victory for 4th doubles as they had lost to their opponents in a heartbreaking third set earlier in the season. Yet, before the tournament, Olivito was very confident in his doubles abilities, “I knew we were one of the best doubles team in the conference. But I always knew that Wheaton North were at our level and would be the team to beat. The final match was the match we had to be on our A game.” After gaining their sweet revenge, Olivito described the experience as “Definitely the best match of my life.”

Continuing on to his senior year, Olivito has been hard at work in the off season and eager to improve. “I’ve been working majorly on my forehand with technique and my footwork,” claimed Olivito. “I’m pumped for moving up a spot or two and hopefully repeating the success from last year.” As an exceptional player, we wish our fellow tiger best of luck in his journey to become a champion once more.