More Performing Arts Schools Brings Better Education

I'Yanna Miller, staff writer

As inner-city schools in Chicago, IIl continues to regulate and expand programs such as performing arts schools. Students who attend schools in other areas are less likely to receive the same. For instance, suburban school areas have fewer to no performing arts schools for students to attend. While they may have a dominant focus on the academic curriculum. It is less considered how performing arts schools may benefit the education of students and because not many are accessible in other areas this leaves students less likely to experience a potential uprise in their education.    

Less performing arts school means less of a chance for students to be able to express their artistic ways while in school, limiting other benefits they can gain from it. Such as better chances of having higher graduation rates, academic motivation, and overall better engagement in the school community. Though there are benefits of clubs and extracurricular activities for students to participate in, the ideal reason to have performing arts schools is to be able to provide an outlet filled with what students love to do during the school day. Adding on more motivation for students, providing more development on mindful skills and willingness to do well in class.

With it not being likely for all students to experience, it can potentially lead to affecting students with artistic abilities and hinder academic performances. Performing arts schools are to help benefit artistic students and more students should be able to experience that; so, they receive the same support and opportunities as students who already attend them. “A third of Illinois’ elementary students and 70 percent of high schoolers have no exposure to art, music, theater or dance instruction during school,” according to the Chicago Citburte. “Children in rural and small schools are the least likely to have access to the arts.” This supports a true example of the number of students that are able to attend performing arts schools.

Condersering the benefits of what these schools have to offer for students it seems as though there needs to be more of a push for the school districts to understand. “The arts are a vital part of a well-rounded education because they prepare students to be creative thinkers and problem solvers,” states Ana Valkanas, executive director of the Illinois Arts Alliance Foundation. This can help support how well-performing arts schools are for students overall. Continued research From the Chicago Tribune states: “Glenbard School District 87 in DuPage cut the arts curricula after voters rejected a tax increase last year. The district cut four positions in the art department and narrowed course offerings. Three years ago, for example, Glenbard North High School had 12 art classes. This year, it has seven.”       

This comes to truly realizing the need for Performing arts schools. It is important to understand the effect of what performing arts schools can do on students. It can be a better way for students academically and mentally giving them the opportunities to set a foundation for future careers. “Development of social competencies, including collaboration and teamwork skills, social tolerance, and self-confidence,” as stated by the Arts and dropout prevention article. This supports how the benefit of having art classes helps students in different areas. “Student motivation and engagement, including improved attendance, persistence, focused attention, heightened educational aspirations, and intellectual risk-taking; With this, it supports another thing students can benefit from attending this type of school. 

This is important because while performing arts schools are in city areas more should be available for more students. If more community districts and school boards come together to help regulate more funding or plan other possible resources to better support students of artistic interests this will be beneficial for students and their education. Going forward these things should be considered when focusing on students and their futures, students have other capabilities to showcase other than academic achievements; it just has to be realized and supported.