WWS Variety Show

Emily Sklenicka, staff writer

The Wheaton Warrenville South theatre program hosted its annual Variety Show featuring many student acts and the student sketch comedy group, The Fill-Ins, on Friday, March 16th and Saturday, March 17th in the auditorium. The program sold tickets online and at the door to raise money for the theatre. The show highlighted the diverse talents here at South: singing, live music, dancing, and spoken word poetry. The acts featured in the variety show included the I Am One band, Maggie Bush, Raeann Hardin and Jordann Kurasz, Dima King and Helen Mawi, Cheyenne LaHaye and Victoria Niedzwiedz, Mia Archos, Isabelle Yonke, Ryleigh Roberts, the South Side Steppers, Sara Perez, Owen Miller, Risandi Magalage, and the Orphic K-pop club.

Both performers and audience members felt the electricity and talent in the room. “It inspired me as an artist to pick up different skills, such as playing the guitar,” said Maggie Bush, a performer and student director. “There were a lot of people who I never knew could perform like that.” As a student director, Maggie “sat in on auditions, wrangled the acts, had input on staging,” to ultimately facilitate a well-rounded experience for all those who participated.

“Getting to experience performing in front of a crowd is something I’ll take away from the variety show,” Risandi Magalage reflected. “You don’t get to do that very often, and to be able to show your talents on stage is such a fun experience.” So, when next year’s variety show auditions roll around, Magalage advises that “auditioning… is definitely something I recommend for anyone who is interested in performing.”