The Pride

Wheaton Warrenville South Defeats Geneva in First Conference Game of the Season

Abby Struebing, Staff Writer

On Friday, Sept. 10, the Wheaton Warrenville South Tigers beat the Geneva Vikings 35-3 in their first DuKane conference game on Red Grange Field.  

In the first two minutes of the game, junior running back Jake Arthurs rushed a 4-yard touchdown for the Tigers. In the second quarter, quarterback Noah Henkel completed a pass to Matt Brennan for another 4-yard touchdown to make it 14-0. Just before halftime, Relly Waldoch kicked a 38-yard field goal to give the Vikings three points.

Wheaton Warrenville South dominated the second half. Arthurs rushed 7-yards to score his second touchdown of the game. The next play, Joe Ives intercepted Geneva quarterback Alex Williams.

As the Tigers’ defense prevailed, Ives intercepted Williams again and returned it for a 48-yard touchdown to raise the score 28-3. In the fourth quarter, quarterback Noah Henkel snuck into the endzone to score the last touchdown of the game. Wheaton Warrenville South secured another win in the books to add to their streak.

On Sept. 13, Ives was awarded the Defensive Player of the Week of the DuKane Conference. He had six tackles, two interceptions and downed a punt at the 1-yard line. “I’m not only confident in myself, but I’m also confident in our defense. We have such good chemistry and I couldn’t do it without my teammates,” said Ives.

With a record of 2-7 for the past three years, the Tigers’ are focusing on the basic fundamentals of the game.

“We have made so many strives as a team. They’re such a good group of guys,” said assistant coach James Vivian. “We are really emphasizing on senior leadership this year. We have a better attitude and everyone wants a good run this season. Hopefully the leadership will carry over next year and the numbers will continue to increase.”

Ranked third in conference behind St. Charles East and reigning state champions Batavia High School, the Tigers’ aim to keep their streak going and make it to playoffs this year.

• Wheaton Warrenville South Defeats Geneva in First Conference Game of the Season

Profiles

Joe Ives: 2018 Difference Maker

Sports

Cross Country: The Unsung Champions

Sports

Go long using the long-form option

Ops & Entertainment

Spiderman Video Game: Just Your Friendly, Neighborhood Review

Features

To Read or Not To Read

Features

Getting It Wright

• Features

FOMO: Are You Missing Out on Social Media or Life?

News

A Tight Battle for Illinois Governor

Ops & Entertainment

Vote, You Can Make A Difference

• Features

Video Rentals: A Check-In in 2018

The Student News Site of Wheaton Warrenville South High School