Green Fair Recycling Extravaganza

Scarce is an organization in DuPage County dedicated to showing the benefits of recycling and how to better the environment. Scarce stands for “school and community assistant for recycling and composting education,” as according to the Scarce website. For 27 years, Scarce has hosted events where the community can donate. During these events, Scarce also provides education on recycling and ways to improve the environment to the community.  This Saturday, September 15th, Scarce is hosting a Green Fair Recycling Extravaganza. The event starts at 10am and ends at 1pm. The event will be held in DuPage County Fairgrounds, 2015 Manchester Rd. Wheaton, IL. The event is free for admission. It includes kid activities, green vendors and eco-lifestyle workshops.

McKeen, the executive director and founder of Scarce, started teaching in DuPage schools about environmental etiquette in 1990. According to the Scarce Website, McKeen created Scarce with a mission: “To inspire people, through education, to preserve & care for our Earth’s natural resources while working to build sustainable communities.”

English teacher at Wheaton Warrenville South High School Margaret Quinn explains how if South collaborated with Scarce, “Students could have a way to communicate with teachers if they needed school supplies and teachers could go and check.” Scarce not only teaches the importance of recycling but also helps  teachers who aren’t given money by the school to buy supplies for their classroom and students who aren’t able to buy school supplies.

Stephanie Consuegra, former high school student from Wheaton Warrenville South High School believes recycling is “Most definitely” important because “It is affecting our ocean life… the ocean provides for us as much as we’re providing it. If we’re providing trash, that’s all we’re going to get in return.”

By hosting these events such as the Green Fair, Scarce is showing the community the importance of taking care of the earth with fun activities, eco-lifestyle workshops, and more. They also provide live music from Ralph’s World, food vendors, kid-maker space and environmental education. So stop by this Saturday on September 15th (from 10am to 1pm) to learn how to solve our environmental issues.