Wheaton Warrenville South Tennis Competes in St. Charles East Invitational

Bridget Kennedy, Staff Writer

Wheaton Warrenville South High School girls varsity tennis team took fifth place in the St. Charles East Invitational on Saturday, September 14th.

Benet High School placed first in the tournament, beating out Hinsdale Central, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, St. Francis, St. Charles East, St. Charles North, and Geneva. 

Junior state champion Emily Orlove placed second in first singles. Team captain Jill King placed fifth in second singles and third singles player. Grace Demars took third. First doubles partners Emma Beres and Anna Huelskoetter placed sixth as did Bri Tosto and Maddy Draus playing second doubles. 

When reflecting upon their eighth match of the season, King is optimistic about the outcome. “As a team, we wished that a couple of matches went a little better, but we are overall pleased with our results,” said King, “We definitely need improvement, but I would say we are gradually becoming more and more consistent and are getting closer to reaching our full potential.”

The team morale played a big part in the end result of the tournament. “Our team is very strong willed so we never give up and we always try our best.” said Huelskotter. 

With the help of coach Patti Clousing, the team heads into their first conference match of the season. On Tuesday, September 17th at 4p.m., the South tennis team will play against Geneva Vikings at Geneva High School. The girls are looking forward to the match and are confident that they can bring Wheaton Warrenville South a win.